Tuesday 16 May 2017

2nd Batxillerat End of Year revision ANSWER KEY



End of year revision               2nd Batxillerat          Grammar & Vocabulary

1   Complete the sentences with the verbs in the box. Use the correct participle or participial phrases. Sometimes more than one answer is possible.
check   cry   live   run   shake   shock   walk
     Running around the track, he got very tired.
1   Shocked to hear the news, he turned pale and left the room.
2   Having checked all his messages, he put down the phone.
3   Living in the countryside, he’s lost touch with many of his friends in the city.
4   Walking into the job interview, he tripped and fell over.
5   The teacher saw Vicky crying and asked her what was wrong.
6   I felt the ground shake/shaking beneath my feet and ran outside.

2   Complete the second sentence so that it has the same meaning as the first sentence. Use the words in brackets.

1   It’s not against the rules for staff to chew gum. (be allowed to)
     Staff is/are allowed to chew gum.
2   I should have arrived on time. (if only)
     If only I had arrived on time.
2   I really want to be able to play the violin. (wish)
     I wish I were able to/was able to/could play the violin.
3   I really want my neighbours to stop playing loud music. (wish)
     I wish my neighbours would stop playing loud music.   
4   I won’t go shopping unless you lend me your car. (if)
     If you don’t lend me your car, I won’t go shopping.        
5   I failed my exam because I didn’t study. (had)
     If I had studied, I wouldn’t have failed my exam.  
6   The hairdresser cut Sue’s hair yesterday. (got)
     Sue got her hair cut yesterday.
7   They gave Mrs Harris a present. (was)
     Mrs Harris was given a present.
8   There’s the place – I got married there. (where)
     There’s the place where I got married.
9   ‘You broke my bike,’ Ian said to Helen. (accused)
     Ian accused Helen of breaking his bike.
10 ‘I didn’t hit your car, Mr Long,’ said Dan. (denied)
     Dan denied hitting/having hit Mr Long’s car.

3   Choose the correct options or complete the gaps with the correct forms of the verbs in brackets.
Pop-up shops, which / where are temporary shops that appear for a short period of time, are becoming more common. Pop-up shops (1) are used (use) by businesses because they are often more affordable than having a permanent shop. They are also useful for promoting a business because their sudden appearance (2) is usually noticed (usually / notice) by passers-by and potential customers. They (3) give (give) businesses the opportunity to test new products on the market, (4) which / who helps them for the future. The temporary nature of a pop-up shop also (5) encourages (encourage) people (6) which / who are browsing to make quick purchases. There are some customers (7) whose / who admit (8) buying (buy) items from pop-up shops that they might not buy in normal shops.

4   Complete the sentences with the correct forms of the verbs in bold.
     Gemma promised to text me when she got home. (text)
1   Kamil apologized for forgetting his mother’s birthday. (forget)
2   By the time you arrived, we had already been waiting for three hours. (already / wait)
3   Sam advised his sister not to go to the party. (not / go)
4   Did you see James yesterday? (see)
5   Sorry, I forgot the money. I will bring it tomorrow, I promise. (bring)
6   Have you ever visited the Taj Mahal? (ever / visit)

5   Complete the second sentence so that it has the same meaning as the first sentence. Use the words in bold.
1   He’s starting doing judo. (taken)
     He’s taken up judo.
2   Susan has given up cigarettes. (stopped)
     Susan has stopped smoking (cigarettes).
3   My internet shopping addiction is out of control. (hand)
     My internet shopping addiction has got out of hand.
4   These tickets are very expensive. (arm)
     These tickets cost an arm and a leg.
5   My sister is doing lots of shopping to make herself feel better. (therapy)
     My sister is getting some retail therapy.
6   Dan is very unhappy at the moment. (down)
     Dan is feeling down at the moment.
6   Complete the sentences. Use the correct forms of phrasal verbs formed from the words in bold.
     I’ve decided to sign up for a triathlon. (sign)
1   Jane couldn’t finish the race and dropped out three kilometres from the end. (drop)
2   I don’t like it when people listen in on my conversations. (listen)
3   He finished talking to his friend on the phone and then hung up. (hang)
4   After answering my emails, I logged off the computer. (log)


7   Complete the sentences with a compound adjective formed with a word from A and a word from B.
A  ankle-   average-   clean-   friendly-   scruffy-   well

B  dressed   length   looking (x2)   shaven   sized
     After he removed his beard, he was clean-shaven.
1   His clothes were old and his hair was very messy – he was scruffy-looking.
2   She was wearing a blue T-shirt and a long, ankle-length skirt.
3   He was well-dressed in a suit and tie.
4   My sister is friendly-looking . She’s always smiling.
5   He wasn’t fat or thin – he was average-sized .

No comments:

Post a Comment