Sunday 12 February 2017

1st Batxillerat Unit 4 Workbook Answer Key

Unit 4

Vocabulary

1
1 disrespectful            4 kindly
2 honestly, equally      5 dishonest
3 disloyal                   6 racist

2
1 kind
2 respect
3 equality
4 discrimination / disgraceful
5 prejudice

3
1 was    3 kept    5 met
2 had    4 are      6 ’m / am

4
1 ’m / am sick of
2 find out
3 didn’t lose his head
4 through thick and thin
5 under the weather
6 are over the moon

5
1 ask     3 getting    5 being
2 flirt     4 get          6 breaking

6
1 Getting married is a way of making a commitment to someone you love.
2 Didn’t you used to go out with Jamie?
3 (correct)
4 She was really upset when he broke up with her.
5 You may be broken-hearted now, but you’ll soon get over your ex-girlfriend.
6 I wish Kyle would stop flirting with me!

7
1 a have   b have   c having
2 a get     b got      c get
3 a Was   b ’s / is   c ’m / am

8
1 inequality   4 unkindly
2 grateful      5 loyalty
3 inhumane

Grammar

1
1 … (that) he hadn’t seen Lisa the night before / previous night.
2 … (that) her brother was getting married the following week / week after.
3 … (that) Ann and Ryan had nothing in common.
4 … (that) she would help me / him / her / them carry the box.
5 … (that) we could all go / come for dinner that night.
6 … (that) he had never made new friends while on holiday.

2
(that) she had said ‘Yes’.

that was good news and that he had been beginning to think Ian would never ask her.

they were going out for pizza that evening. he and Manjit were also going out for pizza that evening and that they could all go together.

he wasn’t sure, as it was their first date so it would be a bit embarrassing with other people there.

he was probably right and that they could go on a double date the next time.

3
1 told   3 said   5 said
2 said   4 told   6 told

4
1 Pete said to Jo that his parents had nothing in common.
2 Gran said to me that their neighbours had just gone on holiday.
3 Sue told Lucy that Leo had been speaking to Gemma when she had seen him that morning.
4 Ricardo told the class that his great-grandparents had had nine children.
5 I told Geri that I was coming home the following week / week after.

5 1 Mairi suggested to Sean that they watch a DVD after dinner.
2 Misha warned Vanessa not to go out with Jim as / because he was nasty.
3 David reminded Ali to call him the following / next day.
4 Cassie ordered Don not to touch her iPad again.
5 Mum recommended that I try the new Chinese restaurant.

6 Students’ own answers.

7
1 Rob asked me when he would see me again.
2 Steve asked Mia if / whether she was going to the cinema that night.
3 Sophie asked her brother if / whether Kyle had called her while she was out.
4 Ama asked me why I had broken up with Rosie.
5 The waiter asked us if / whether we had booked a table.

8
1 ‘When does the lesson end?’
2 ‘Can I borrow your phone?’
3 ‘Why didn’t you trust me?’
4 ‘Do you know Craig?’
5 ‘How did you do in the test?’

9
1 Izzie asked me where I had got that book.
2 Mum suggested to Dad that they go out for a meal that night.
3 Ewan reminded Eric to bring his revision notes.
4 I told my sister that a boy called Dean was at the door for her.
5 Lara said to Kevin that she would see him the next / following day.

10
1 recommended ➙ suggested
2 told ➙ asked
3 did he know ➙ if / whether he knew
4 said ➙ told
5 can ➙ could
6 had used ➙ used

Listening

2
1 C   2 D   3 C   4 A   5 B   6 A   7 B   8 D

3 1 a 2 a

4 Possible answers:

1)
a spreading rumours (normal stress)
no special emphasis intended / normal use
b spreading rumours
to emphasize that rumours are being spread, as opposed to being condemned / proven wrong / etc.
c spreading rumours
to emphasize that it is rumours that are being spread and not, for example, lies / gossip / etc.

2)
a racial comments
to emphasize that comments are racial in nature and not, for example, sexist / positive / etc.
b racial comments
to emphasize that racism was expressed by means of comments and not, for example, by attacks etc.
c racial comments (normal stress)
no special emphasis intended / normal use

5
1 told me some of the girls have been bullying you this term
2 I asked her not to tell anyone
3 Jaydee said she’s very worried about you
4 it started with nasty messages on my Facebook page
5 What did the messages say
6 They said that I had stolen some money from some
7 Did you steal any money
8 They’re just spreading rumours

Speaking

1
1 E 2 B 3 F 4 A 5 D 6 C

2
1 less than half of the
2 I don’t think it’s important
3 companionship
4 Nearly everyone is
5 Hardly anyone

3, 4, 5, 6 Students’ own answers.

Reading

1
1 the writer’s dad
2 the writer

2
1 B 2 C 3 B 4 A

3
1 False. ‘We’re concerned about … our future … ’
2 False. ‘ … you won’t catch me … risking having to chat to her folks!’
3 False. ‘It’s just as easy to lie in person as it is to create a false Facebook profile.’
4 True. ‘Recognizing who you can connect with and who you can’t is an art form, online and offline.’

4
1 freaks … out       3 folks
2 hanging out          4 blurted out

5
1 blurted; b          3 express; a
2 fifties; a             4 folks; b

Writing

1
Possible answer: She’s going bowling on her first date with a boy called Toby.

2
1 It has; have not
2 ‘My friend Carol says I’m obsessed.’
‘Toby said it’s great.’ The present tense is used as the information is still true.
3 To convey that the previous idea (doing homework) is boring.

3
1 Got any advice? / Any idea what I should wear? / OK then, better get on with …
2 It’s / haven’t / We’re / I’m / name’s / he’s / can’t / we’re / it’s
3 Hey / Well / stuff like that / I almost forgot to mention / OK then

4 Students’ own answers.

5
1 Greeting
2 apology
3 your own news
4 advice about what to wear
5 sign off

6 Students’ own answers.

Progress Check

Grammar

1
1 we / they were getting married
2 he went to the theatre
3 (that) Ken was always
4 Dad (that) Ray had lost their
5 we / they could have … that year

2
1 advised       4 warned
2 said            5 ordered / told
3 suggested   6 recommended

3
1 Julia asked Izzy where her parents had met.
2 Mark asked me if that was my house.
3 Ang asked me how many times Taylor had asked me out.
4 ‘Did you have a good time?’
5 ‘Why are you crying?’
6 ‘When did you last go on a date?’

4 Possible answers:
1 that he couldn’t find a decent photo of himself to post in his advert on the new online dating site.
2 Jaime / him how she could help (him).
3 Marise / her if she could take a new photo of him.
4 to take his photo
5 she didn’t have a camera
6 to let her use his

Vocabulary

1
1 unkindness      4 indignity
2 humanity         5 Dishonesty
3 racism

2
1 It’s not a good idea to lie to the police, just be honest.
2 I love going walking at this time of year, the trees are such beautiful colours.
3 Women still experience inequality in their work environment.
4 I may have lost the game, but I left with dignity.
5 I gratefully thanked my grandmother for my birthday present.

3
1 on       2 know    3 common
4 blue    5 over      6 through

4 Students’ own answers.

Listening
1
Tick: 2, 3, 5
Possible answers:
1 isn’t mentioned – the speakers simply mention a specific case of someone they know who posted someone else’s photo on Facebook.
4 isn’t mentioned – the survey asks about how people ask someone else out on a date, not where they would go.

2
1 broke up
2 about half the people
3 The majority of people
4 1 in 4 / One in four
5 only 60%

Speaking

Students’ own answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment