Thursday 16 February 2017

2nd Batxillerat Grammar & Vocabulary Revision (Up to Unit 4)



1   Rewrite the sentences using the words in bold.

1   I failed my exam because I didn’t study. (had)
     If I had studied, I wouldn’t have failed my exam.

2   I really want to be able to play the violin. (wish)
     I wish I played / could play the violin.

3   I really want my neighbours to stop playing loud music. (would)
     If only / I wish my neighbours would stop playing loud music.

4   He’s failing maths because he doesn’t like it. (liked)
     If he liked maths, he wouldn’t fail / would have passed.

5   I shouldn’t have shouted at Leo. (if only)
     If only I hadn’t shouted at Leo.

6   The plants don’t grow unless it rains. (doesn’t)
     The plants won’t / don’t grow if it doesn’t rain.

7    The dentist cleaned my mum’s teeth. (got)
My mum got her teeth cleaned.
    
8   We’ll call you when we get to the mountains but only if we have a phone signal. (as long as)
     We’ll call you when we get to the mountains as long as we have a phone signal.

9   She’s going to do the marathon next year and it doesn’t matter if the training is hard. (even)
          She’s going to do the marathon next year even if the training is hard.

10 Her bag was stolen at the concert last night. (had)
     She had her bag stolen at the concert last night.

11 He’s already offered Simone some cake. (been)
     Simone has already been offered some cake.
     Some cake has already been offered to Simone.

12 The prime minister is going to open the new hospital tomorrow. (by)
     The new hospital is going to be opened by the prime minister tomorrow.
     By tomorrow the prime minister will have opened the new hospital.

13 There’s the place – I got married there. (where)
     There’s the place where I got married.

14 ‘You broke my bike,’ Ian said to Helen. (accused)
     Ian accused Helen of breaking his bike.

15 Oscar had won the race before his mum arrived. (by the time)
     Oscar had won the race by the time his mum arrived.

16 My PE teacher is called Mr Howard. He’s training to run a marathon. (who)
     My PE teacher, who is training to run a marathon, is called Mr Howard.

17 ‘Why don’t we watch the match?’ said Ethan. (suggested)
     Ethan suggested watching the match / that we watch the match.

18 I saw him three months ago. (haven’t)
     I haven’t seen him for three months.

19 This is the man. His bag was stolen. (whose)
     This is the man whose bag was stolen.

20 It was raining but they went on a trip. (despite)
     Despite the rain, we went on a trip. / Despite the fact that it was raining, we went on a trip.


2   Correct the errors in the sentences. One sentence is correct.
    
1    My friend asked me what did I want for my birthday.
     My friend asked me what I wanted for my birthday.

2    Theo’s teacher accused him that he cheated.
     Theo’s teacher accused him of cheating.

3    The headmaster announced that he was leaving the school.
Correct.

4    He’s called me two hours ago.
He called me two hours ago.

5   Are you using social networking sites every day?
     Do you use social networking sites every day?

6   By the time we arrived, the lesson has already started.
     By the time we arrived, the lesson had already started.

7   I promised calling my mum when I arrived. 
I promised to call my mum when I arrived.

3 Complete the passage with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.

            Natalie, who is a homeless sixteen-year-old, has lived / has been living (live) on the streets for six months. She decided to leave (leave) home just after her sixteenth birthday. She argued / had argued (argue) a lot with her parents and then one day she just couldn’t (not can) take it anymore. At first, she stayed (stay) with friends, but eventually she didn’t have (not have) anywhere left to go. Now, she is homeless and penniless. At the end of each day, she sleeps (sleep) wherever she can – bus stations, railway stations, car parks… even under bridges. How will it all end (end)?  “I don’t know”, says Natalie. “I will try / have tried (try) to find a solution, but it isn’t easy. Yesterday some people came to me from an organisation that helps people like me and they promised that they will help / would help (help) me.

 
    
    
4   Complete the sentences with the correct forms of the verbs and phrasal verbs in the box.
afford               browse             deliver              exchange           order (x2)         rip off           save up
     I found the perfect present for my mum, so I ordered it online.
1   Ben has been saving up for six months to buy a new car.
2   Everything is reasonably priced in this shop. It doesn’t try to rip off its customers.
3   If you don’t like your present, you can take it back and exchange it for something else.
4   Can you afford to buy that dress? It’s very expensive.
5   They didn’t have my size in the shop, so I ordered the coat online and it’s going to be delivered to my house this week.


5   Replace the underlined words with the correct forms of the phrasal verbs in the box.
come up against      hand over         move out          put up       set off              set up               share out
     My house was built in just two weeks. put up
1   Martin Luther King encountered a lot of opposition to his ideas during his lifetime. came up against
2   They transferred control of the project to another company.  handed over
3   Abraham Lincoln helped establish the Republican Party in the USA in 1854. set up
4   There’s enough food to feed everyone in the world, but it's not distributed fairly. shared out
5   Sami is leaving home on Sunday to start university. moving out
6   Tom will leave for Brazil early tomorrow morning. set off

No comments:

Post a Comment